National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 887] Re: GED Discussion Group

Daphne Greenberg alcdgg at langate.gsu.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:24:14 EDT 2007

Here is a copy of a message that David Rosen, the facilitator of the
Special Topics Discussion List sent:
Colleagues,

On July 23rd, on the National Institute for Literacy Special Topics
list, we will begin discussing the General Educational Development

(GED) diploma outcomes research of Dr. John Tyler. Dr. Tyler is
Associate Professor of Education, Economics, and Public Policy at Brown
University in Providence, Rhode Island. An applied microeconomist, his
research focuses on what is happening to low- skilled individuals in
today's high-skill economy. He is regarded as one of the nation's
experts on the economic returns to the General Educational Development
(GED) certificate. Dr. Tyler's interests also include school reform
issues, program evaluation, and quantitative research methods.

Dr. Tyler will take our questions from the week's discussion, will
respond to them the following Monday, and will continue to respond to
follow-up questions throughout the week of July 30th.

You or your colleagues who may wish to join this discussion can
subscribe by going to http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/specialtopics

After you complete the simple registration form (30 seconds) you will

receive an email asking you to confirm that you wish to subscribe.

Immediately reply to the email to complete your subscription. After the
discussion ends you can unsubscribe from the same Web address, or stay
on for the next discussion.

To prepare for this discussion please look at a 30-minute video
discussion with John Tyler; teacher, Sara Fass; and professional
development coordinator, Sue Snider. The video panel discussion focuses
on the economic benefits that accrue to holders of the GED credential.
It was based on a review by John Tyler of eight (published and working)
research papers on the GED. Several of these papers were authored by
John Tyler, Richard Murnane, and John Willett, researchers with the
National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL)
whose work has influenced what we know about the economic benefits of
the GED.

http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/webcasts/ged/webcast_ged.html

The following readings, mentioned in the video panel discussion, would
also be useful preparation for this discussion:

NCSALL GED Research Briefs

http://www.ncsall.net/?id=27

Seven briefs by John Tyler are linked on this page, among which are:

"The Economic Benefits of the GED: A Research Synthesis", "So You Want a
GED? Estimating the Impact of the GED on the Earnings of Dropouts Who
Seek the Credential", "Who Benefits from Obtaining a GED? Evidence from
High School and Beyond", and "Estimating the Labor Market Signaling
Value of the GED"

Beyond the GED: Making Conscious Choices About the GED and Your Future
http://www.ncsall.net/fileadmins/resources/teach/beyond_ged.pdf

The following additional GED research articles by John Tyler will be
found in .pdf on his Web page at
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Education/personnel.php?

who=jhtyler#pubs

2005 - "Is the GED an Effective Route to Postsecondary Education?"

2004 - "Does the GED Improve Earnings? Estimates from a Sample of Both
Successful and Unsuccessful GED Candidates?" Industrial and Labor
Relations Review 57:4 (2004), 579-98.

2004 - "The Devil’s in the Details: Evidence from the GED on the Large
Effects of Small Differences in High Stakes Exams ". Economics of
Education Review 23:4 (2004), 336-49. With Richard J. Murnane and John
B. Willett.

GED teachers, especially, will find the following publication of GED
outcomes data -- intended to be used by GED teachers and their students
-- of special interest. It was written by Sara Fass and Barbara Garner
in 2000, and updated by Eileen Barry in 2006.

"Beyond the GED: Making Conscious Choices About the GED and Your Future"

http://www.ncsall.net/?id=1099

I look forward to having you join us in this discussion.

David J. Rosen

Special Topics Discussion Moderator

dj
rosen at comcast.net