National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 812] ESL Assessment

Melinda Hefner mhefner at cccti.edu
Thu May 24 14:54:25 EDT 2007

I'm sure this topic has been discussed many, many times before, but I wanted to ask some questions nevertheless since there may be new members or new information. I want to get a better feel for what is being done nationally rather than in my own region.

1. What is the best assessment tool for ESL adult learners?

2. What is the most widely used assessment tool for them?

3. How much movement from one level to another do your programs see among these learners?

While I will appreciate detailed responses, I really just need some general responses.

Thanks in advance!!

Melinda M. Hefner
Director, Literacy Support Services

Basic Skills Department
Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute
2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson, North Carolina 28638
Office: (828) 726-2245
FAX: (828) 726-2266