National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 785] Re: Using Data for Program Improvement

Rosemary Matt rosemarym at lacnyc.org
Fri Apr 20 12:55:03 EDT 2007

Karen,
The challenge of rolling out the staff development for these assessment pieces is truly daunting. In New York, every staff member who is to administer the TABE must attend the state training. Through our data management system, we track all attendance and certifications for state mandated training. We have a similar strand running for the BEST Plus as well. Although it is a challenge to get everyone trained, for those programs who pushed their staff through the first round, they are already seeing the difference in their performance data for educational gain. You are absolutely correct in feeling there is not only strategy involved but a better understanding of the nuances of the NRS system can assist a program in demonstrating through their data reporting, a more accurate picture of the service they provide and the impact it has on their students.
Rosemary

Rosemary I. Matt
NRS Liaison for NYS
Literacy Assistance Center