National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 745] Re: Data quality and usefulness of NRS

Mary Beheler mbeheler at cabell.lib.wv.us
Wed Apr 18 13:41:42 EDT 2007

Maybe aggregate figures for large groups can give some indication are doing
better or worse than they used to. Maybe.

But NRS gives surely gives meaningless results for small groups like ours.
(Total 20-25 students with 12 or more hours per year) One individual can
vary the group results far too drastically.

My first posting on the 16th asked a question about the statistical validity
of the figures for a five member level containing only 3 or 4 post-tested
individuals. If these figures has real meaning for our group, would someone
please explain? (I'm not a statistician, but I have had some college math
classes, including calculus.)

The standard for a level with only one member could be 2% or 98%, it still
amounts to pass/fail. At level 4 (high intermediate ABE) the student could
improve more than 10 CASAS points and the whole level, and therefore our
group, would not be an NRS success!

Yes, I know, the state will take our smallness into consideration when
looking at our figures, but the rules are not written that way.

It seems like it would be useful for small groups to have their results
bundled for comparison to the big guys. Maybe invent a standard for a whole
organization, if it is big enough. If level-by-level analysis of small
groups is as nonsensical as I think it is, why burden us with it? Let us
just report.

And you are right, JTA, the whole NRS system might be useless in the long
run. Maybe even harmful.

Mary G. Beheler
Tri-State Literacy
455 Ninth Street