National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 724] Re: What about us little guys using volunteersforone-on-one tutoring?

Rosemary Matt rosemarym at lacnyc.org
Tue Apr 17 07:38:45 EDT 2007

Good Morning Everyone!

I am sorry to be so late joining the group. I am one of the panelists, Rosemary Matt. Just recently, I accepted the position of NRS Liaison for New York State so monitoring data and providing technical assistance to programs in need is now my entire focus. We also have a large contingent of programs that provide service through a volunteer network in a one to one tutoring arrangement. Your concerns Mary regarding the inability for programs such as these to meet performance benchmarks is shared by New York programs as well. Our state department has thoroughly considered the population these folks serve and consider that to be a mitigating circumstance when assessing their performance. The value of these organizations serving some of our lowest skilled readers is well known and appreciated. In a state the size of New York it is possible to absorb the lack of educational gain increments from these agencies as they are balanced by other programs serving students for whom gain is eminent.

At the same time however we have worked closely with these programs and their statewide leadership team to provide technical assistance in the area of assessment. As they learn more about the strategies and nuances that evolve around the NRS accountability system, they are better able to show whatever gain is possible from their students.

As some of you are aware, New York also utilizes the program level Report Card. We attended the training two years ago that was provided by Larry and his staff at AIR. I would strongly recommend this training to any state considering this accountability tool for programs. We have made incredible advances in terms of identifying high performing programs and targeting those in need of technical assistance through our Report Card Rubric. Marie has posted three power points that I offer in training built around this rubric. To further support our volunteer programs, our state department has chosen to rank these programs among themselves providing a homogeneous category specific to their needs. They are not measured against the cohort of traditional adult education programs.

Another strategy we have recently embarked upon is through our statewide data system, we have introduced Collaboration Metrics. Many students working first with these volunteer programs while they are at minimal skill levels will eventually move into traditional programming and continue to succeed through the educational levels. To ensure the volunteer programs remain tied to the student's success, they are informed of the students progress through the data system and can subsequently report on that gain as well.

These few methods of support have been well received by our volunteer affiliates. Hope they may give you and your state some thoughts for the future.
Rosemary

Rosemary I. Matt
NRS Liaison for NYS
Literacy Assistance Center