National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 721] Re: What about us little guys using volunteers for one-on-one tutoring?

Mary Beheler mbeheler at cabell.lib.wv.us
Mon Apr 16 17:03:22 EDT 2007

MessageWe tutor adults. No children.
Almost all our students are at Begining Literacy to High Intermediate ABE
level. Almost no high or even low adult secondary. At the secondary level we
only get the students that can't (or won't) tolerate study in a regular ABE
classroom. ESL instruction is done by a different organization, with paid
teachers.

We net 20 to 25 students with more than 12 hours of study each year. We are
so small that sometimes an entire FFL will have only one student in it. When
that happens the only question is, "How many advanced a level: 0 or 100%?"

We deal with students on a highly individualized basis. One may need to
learn to read again after having a stroke or a fever. Another may have
taught himself to sight read at a very high level, but neglected to teach
himself any spelling or writing skills. A high school graduate may not have
learned even his ABCs, for whatever reason. One or two students a year might
have an employment or higher education goal. (Then WV can't verify it, if
the student works or studies out of state.) I can safely say that no two
students have been alike in the nearly ten years that I have been here.

I genuinely *like* statistics and know they can be very useful, and don't
mind gathering data to be put in a bigger pool if what comes back is
helpful. However, if a level has only 3 students, is the data even
"statistically significant" if just 2 of them are available for both pre and
post assessment? 2 of 4?

Some things are better seen by microscopes and others by telescopes. Right
now neither NRS nor CASAS seems especially useful at a local level. Maybe
all I need is to find out how to focus them. Maybe they should be just
trashed. They may cost more to use than they return in terms of time and
money and *stress*, on us and especially on our students.

I'm from West Virginia, not Missouri, but, "Show me!" (Please.)

Mary G. Beheler
Tri-State Literacy
455 Ninth Street
Huntington, WV 25701