National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 718] Re: Using Data for Program Improvementbegins today!

Barbara Arguedas barguedas at sfccnm.edu
Mon Apr 16 15:25:04 EDT 2007

Hello Tina,

I wonder if you could say more about what exact data you use to see what
your teachers need. Is it attendance or level gain, or something else?

We use attendance data to track total hours students are attending and
to determine if they are eligible to post-test (minimum of 40 hours in
NM). If students attend at least 75% of the potential hours, then the
student is eligible to get a certificate at the end of the session
(usually a 12-week session that meets 5 hours each week). We also see
what the overall retention rate is by teacher as well as the post-test
rate and the level gain rate. I agree that these could indicate a need
for training.

We are interested in other ways that programs use data to help with
retention. Thank you.

Barbara Arguedas

Santa Fe Community College

Santa Fe, NM