National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 604] Re: Your classroom today

Katrina Hinson KHinson at almanid.com
Thu Jan 25 14:02:49 EST 2007

Yes, students have access to them. It's an individualized education plan
fitted to that student. It helps keep the student on target and focused
as to what step he or she is in the program - where they are in terms of
reaching individual goals.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson

>>> "Marie Cora" <marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> 1/24/2007 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for these great ideas and suggestions. Keep them coming!

(Let me know if you find the use of bold below helpful or annoying - I
was trying to highlight certain sections so that you could skip over
things if you want to.)

I'm struck by just how much everyone seems to do in terms of
diagnostics
and placement. I guess it could be argued that appropriate diagnostic
placement is crucial in terms of making or breaking an adult student's
experience.

Some replies to folks who've posted:

Susan - I really like the idea of using scenarios in professional
development. I think that providing a real situation for people to
respond to is really helpful in the learning process. Do you use this
regularly with people? Where do you get your scenarios from? Real
experiences or things you've heard about? Others - do you use
scenarios
with either staff or students? What's that like?

Jeannette - you brought up IEPs (Individualized Education Plans).
These
are so useful in terms of providing the guidance needed. I know that
they are used widely (always?) in special education - but do folks not
working in special ed use them as well? I know Katrina mentioned that
she does. I also love the idea of the teacher group discussions for
determining student progress! There's nothing more powerful than
talking things through with colleagues.

Tina - you talked about pre-tests that you develop at your program.
Do
you do this on your own or with others in the program? Do you have
pre-tests for various levels or content areas? Others - do you
develop
your own pre-tests and what does this look like?

Katrina - you also mentioned IEPs, but also you talked about the fact
that students have access to these and can use them as guides, is that
correct? This is a really great form of student self-assessment.
Others - do you have your students engage in self-assessment? What
does
that look like?

Bryan - thanks for this great resource (Lesson Plan Blueprints, TESOL)
-
it looks very intriguing. Often you need to be a TESOL member to
access
their resources, but it appears that this one anyone can go to. There
are a ton of useful resources at this site including white papers on
rationale, bibliographies, real lessons, among other things. Anyone
else use this and care to comment?

Thanks!

Marie

Marie Cora
<mailto:marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com>
marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator
Coordinator, LINCS Assessment Special Collection
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/