National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 598] Re: Your classroom today

Katrina Hinson KHinson at almanid.com
Tue Jan 23 19:18:30 EST 2007

I have a multi level, multi entry GED Lab. When my students come in, I
look at their TABE scores and talk to them about where they actually
stopped learning - what they've been doing workwise and try to gather
information to give me a better picture of what someone may really know.
I use Pre-tests in the Steck-Vaughn and Contemporary GED and Pre-GED
books. I also use the Achieving TABE success books that have some
excellent Pre-Tests that I like better than the GED Pre Test when it
comes to reading because it give me a better picture of the "skill" area
that a student may be having difficulty with in terms of Reading - such
as Main Ideas, Inferences etc. I adapt a lot of my assessment measures
up and down for any given new student. I don't want to frustrate them
off the top and if I see them struggling with something, I'll approach
them and tell them to "let's try something else - let's back up a bit
and see if this is a bit better place for you to start." My class is a
mixture of independent and self paced learning with some group
instruction thrown in. We do a writing journal as a class every day and
we do a math journal every day as a way of coming together as a class. I
also have my students work on MySkillsTutor, A+, Work Keys and
McGrawHill's Top 50 Skills CD. The practice tests for the latter give a
really good "study" plan for students and they can print off their
information for their score and see their own progress. They've enjoyed
doing those exercises.

I do a overall lesson plan - an outline for the day so to speak just in
case I'm not there and someone needs to fill in for me. The lesson plan
is always a big picture and the students fit into that big picture or
better yet, the big picture fits around my students because I modify any
given day based on the needs and wants and desires of my students.

Also, I do teach online classes. They are all TABE tested just as we do
for any other student. GED students work on MySkillsTutor and A+Anywhere
and do the assessments involved in each program. AHS students are a bit
different. I've been working on creating blackboard classes for AHS but
we also currently use A+Anywhere for an online component of our AHS
program. Each class has a syllabus and objectives that need to be met.
The online assignments are not necessarily the same as they would be if
the student were taking the same class in person. The whole idea is to
provide an alternative means of instruction for students we might
otherwise lose or who might otherwise have to quit or stop out for
whatever reason he or she is facing. The online classes are designed for
students that truly show an aptitude to learn on their own and at their
own pace. They're given contact information for me as an instructor and
the hours I'll be available online to help them both during school hours
and outside school hours. They have to check in with me once a week and
I monitor their progress via reports and assignments and if I see a
problem I will contact a student and bring them in for face to face
counseling. So far it's working well.

I keep track of what each student is working on day to day, week to
week. I do my own version of an IEP for each student so that if for some
reason I'm not there, they know what to do and where to go and keep
moving ahead. I update their plans as they complete lessons, gain
confidence, pass GED practice tests or GED tests or simply progress
levels up on the TABE. It's more work in the beginning but it works
better organizationally for me in the long run and the students like
being able to see what they're doing, where they are and where they're
going.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson

>>> "Marie Cora" <marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> 1/23/2007 11:03 am

Hi out there!

Ok, how about this:

How do you know what to do in your classroom today? Do you strictly
follow some plan, or do you take cues from the reality of the present
situation? If you follow a plan (strictly or not), how do you develop
your lesson plan? Describe how you do this.

For those folks working in the GED realm: how do you know where to
start with your adult students? Just from the practice test or
pre-test
or do you do other things as well? Once the student is placed in an
appropriate level, how do you know what to do today with her? How do
you know what she needs?

Thanks!! for any of your thoughts!!

marie

Marie Cora
<mailto:marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com> marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com

NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator
Coordinator, LINCS Assessment Special Collection
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/