National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 574] Re: Opinions and thoughts about using Work KeysforAdult Literacy Students

Limkemann, Karen Karen.Limkemann at fwliteracyalliance.org
Wed Jan 10 11:07:37 EST 2007

Melinda,

To the best of my knowledge there is only one form of the WorkKeys
assessment. It is designed as a screening tool for employment purposes
so that employers will have some assurance of an applicant's skill level
in the different areas. Also, at least in Indiana, there is no way to
score the test locally. They are all sent in to ACT for scoring.

The test does not break down specific skill sets; for instance fractions
or percentages. Also, in adult education programs tied to the National
Reporting System, Work Keys is not listed among acceptable assessments.
The KeyTrain software program does allow for some diagnostics regarding
specific skills but we use the TABE in addition to information that can
be pulled from KeyTrain when creating a adult learning plan (ALP) with a
student. In Indiana the state testing policy for adult ed allows only
TABE or CASAS.

Some state are creating employability certifications based on Work Keys
but again that is for employment purposes rather than an educational
credential such as GED or high school graduation test.

Karen