National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2697] Re: FW: CAAL/Commission Report on Inflation... (cross post from AAACE-NLA)

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Sun Dec 14 20:52:21 EST 2008

I am curious to know why it is assumed that it should cost $1,000 per year
per learner to provide adult literacy training. Not all learners learn the
same way, and not all are motivated.

In my experience, not all learners who attend ESL classes are motivated
enough to improve and consequently they do not improve very much, even with
the help of a teacher. Many others learn well without teachers, and could
benefit from some form of effective e-learning or self-study program, with a
more limited involvement of teachers, more as coaches than instructors.

Why not look at ways of expanding the reach and reducing the average cost?

Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com