National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2676] Re: PD for educators re adult literacy

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Sun Nov 23 16:37:03 EST 2008

On the subject of literacy, I just returned from Sweden. There, children do
not begin reading until the age of 7, yet they do well on international
comparisons of reading ability.

The same is true in Finland. Finnish children spend fewer hours per day in
school and have less homework than American children. Yet the Finns score at
the top of international comparisons of K-12 reading and math outcomes.

On the other hand, I understand that Finns read a lot. The more we read, the
better we get at reading. I agree with Dr. Stich that using audio as a means
of helping weaker readers gain more confidence and enjoy reading is probably
more important than teaching reading strategies or techniques.

--
Regards,

Steve Kaufmann
www.LingQ.com