National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2654] Re: [Professional Development2639]Professional Development Challenge?

Michael Tate mtate at sbctc.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:15:11 EST 2008

Jon and Colleagues: I've been thinking that learning communities may be
a solution to the PD problem. I doubt that there will ever be
sufficient funding for PD, and if there were, that the training would
always be in sync with the needs of teachers. My background in
sustainable development leads me to the notion that PD needs to be
guided by a local more knowledgeable teacher around an issue that all
the teachers in the group are interested in and value enough that they
will come without payment. Technology allows for a learning community
to be made up of members at a distance, and I think the special topics
that are announced on this listserv are examples of "proto-learning
communities".

Michael Tate