National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2605] Question for the List

Katrina Hinson khinson at almanid.com
Fri Oct 17 09:09:24 EDT 2008

Good morning everyone.

I have an interesting question that has come up for me in recent days. I'm first year PhD student in a Technical and Professional Discourse. My classes come from a variety of disciplines which is one of the reasons I picked this field to advance my studies. I have worked in adult education for twelve years and continue to do so. I had to deveop an 'issue' to explore in one of my classes this semester and opted to explore differentiated instruction as it applies to the adult learner, but I can't find a lot of research related specifically to this. Does anyone on the list know of a good place to look? My second question comes about because in my proposal for my issue paper, I mentioned the difference and defined the difference between 'pedagogy' and 'andragogy'. When I did this, my professor remarked that a) he didn't know the difference between these two terms and only knew it becuase I had mentioned it in a prior class and b) that from where he sat he saw andgragogy as "good" pedagogy and the definition of 'pedagogy' as bad teaching. I thought this was interesting. Additionally, alot of the readings I have done for the class are all related to adult learning in developmental classes and the practices discussed are definitely an application of 'andragogical' theories rather than 'pedagogical' but all the practitioners tend to refer to the latter term.

How do you on the list see these two 'different' theories? Do you think there are two different theories / approaches to teaching adults vs teaching children?

I'm curious because I thought people with an educational background would automatically know the adult learning theory as much as they do the child centered learning theory. And perhaps it's the use of the words adult and child...perhaps one theory isn't any more adult or child but that one theory is geared more to the student and one theory is geared more to the teacher and that is where the difference is?

Your feedback on these quests is most appreciated and most welcome.

Regards,

Katrina Hinson

>>> "Jackie A. Taylor" <jackie at jataylor.net> 10/16/08 9:27 PM >>>

Hi Holly,

Thank you for sending this heads up! Obviously I didn't review the
resource in enough depth before posting. As moderators, we cannot review
every resource shared to the depth it might take to identify these
things. Sometimes resources that others find inappropriate might get
posted. It certainly escaped me this morning and I apologize.

We do rely on community members to catch these things when we miss them.
So thanks again and keep it up! I encourage everyone to critique
resources that we share and let us know what you think.

Appreciatively ~

Jackie

Jackie Taylor, Online Facilitator, jackie at jataylor.net

Adult Literacy Professional Development

Adult Literacy and Language Learning Communities of Practice

http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/discussions.html

National Institute for Literacy www.nifl.gov <http://www.nifl.gov/>