National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2589] Re: Strategies for Managing Information

djrosen1 djrosen1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:26:42 EDT 2008

Colleagues,

One goal of managing information may be to have a system that gets
people information they want and need, but does not flood them with
useless or low-priority information.

Someone at a program, an "Information Manager" (IM), could develop a
short survey to find out what information colleagues at the program
want or need. The survey could be developed in broad or refined
categories that could be checked off by responding colleagues. For
example:

_ Professional Development
_ Content area
_ reading
_basic literacy
_reading for meaning
_ etc.
_ numeracy
_ science
_ etc.
_ Use of Technology
_ Integrating technology in the classroom
_ Using technology for supplemental online learning
_ Distance learning
_ etc.
_ Etc.

If the program has many instructors and other staff, this could be
made as an online survey, with the advantage that the results could
be automatically tabulated.

With the tabulated survey results the IM could determine which
Institute discussion lists each "Information Finder" (IF) would
subscribe to, and which topics the IF would look for, and for which
colleagues. ( I am using "Information Finder" (IF) here to describe a
colleague who agrees to subscribe to one discussion list to look for
information that colleagues interested they are interested in.) If
the IFs have more time, some could also search the discussion lists'
archives using the survey categories as key words in the searches.
They might also look at the Adult Literacy Education (ALE) Wiki
topics for useful information in these categories.

IFs should share the information with only those who said they were
interested in the category/sub-category, and should not distributed
to everyone. One way -- there are probably other, better ones -- to
do this would be to have each IF set up an email distribution list
for each category (or sub category) , to name that list using the
category key word, and add email addresses of colleagues who
indicated they were interested in that category. The information
could then be shared to (only) those who said they wanted or needed
it. The information in most cases would be a URL to the selected
first message of an online discussion, or to a web page with a
summarized and organized discussion, or a web page with other
pertinent information. The URL(s) could be included in periodic
messages to the email distribution list that also requested (or
required?) simple feedback to the IF such as:

Check one:

___ Thanks, this is exactly what I want or need.

___ This looks interesting and may be what I want or need.

___ I am not sure why you sent this to me.

___This is not what I want or need. What I need is:
___________________________________

Feedback is important to fine tune the information management system,
to make sure people are getting what they want or need.

Of course, as system like this could be used in a region or a state,
perhaps organized by a state professional development center.

If someone decides to try out a system like this -- or is already
using an information management system like this -- for professional
development please let us know how it works. Also, please let us
know, especially if you use information from the discussion lists or
the ALE wiki:

• what information you are or are not finding
• how much information you are finding on what categories, and
• the quality of the information you are finding.

Thanks.

David J. Rosen
djrosen1 at gmail.com