National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2583] Re: Strategies for Managing Information

Virginia Pulver virginia at nmcl.org
Tue Oct 7 11:23:57 EDT 2008

The suggestion of appointing individuals within an organization to subscribe
to particular development list serve is good. It would be even more
effective if that designated individual had a process whereby they report to
the group on pertinent discussions relative to the organization's mission; a
simple, quick feedback or cross feed system.

My background is in organizational management but as someone who managed
technical training programs and dealt with geographically separated
programs, I found it important to emphasize developing a system of cross
feed. That means information sharing within the organization as well as
with sister organizations/programs.

A quick bullet paper is pretty effective. One page maximum, 3-5 bullet
statements that may include a synopsis of an event, insights, contact
information, and of course, lessons learned. This is particularly useful
as an informal on-the-job training technique, whether the individual is
reporting back on conference events, relaying actual training basics, or
providing feedback on a community event.

In some organizations, reporting back can be quickly accomplished at the
regular staff meetings, using the bullet paper as a guide.,

A notebook of cross feed papers is helpful. Newcomers (and motivated
individuals) can quickly absorb information that in many organizations
remains unavailable - information that influences the corporate culture, but
is never shared effectively. They can also pursue topics that are of special
interest to them.

Just a few thoughts as I sip my morning coffee.

"Ginn"

Virginia J. Pulver, AmeriCorps*VISTA

Recruiting Consultant, NM Coalition for Literacy

3209-B Mercantile Court, Santa Fe NM 87507

virginia at nmcl.org

YOU can become a volunteer adult literacy tutor or

refer adult learners for FREE 1-1 tutoring!

1-800-233-7587

Visit our Website: <http://www.nmcl.org/> www.nmcl.org