National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2516] Re: Teaching adults with phonics

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Thu Sep 18 14:36:44 EDT 2008

Thank you very much for this Tom. I have always found an excessive focus on
the mechanics of reading as a solution to literacy problems to be contrary
to my own empirical observations.
What I understood from your post, and what I heartily agree with is the
sense that for most people reading can be a natural and enjoyable activity,
especially if supported by listening activity (what you refer to as auding).

The wider the range of one's listening exposure, the better chance one has
to develop good reading skills and to build on those skills.
Working on reading mechanics alone will not overcome a poor listening
background.
If we can help people listen to and read things of interest, on a constantly
expanding range of subjects, reading skills will improve and continue to
improve.
Focusing on the mechanics of reading can in some cases take away from the
enjoyment of reading, defeating the purpose.

Steve

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com