National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2483] Re: Professional Development/NIFL list

Libby Tisdell ejt11 at psu.edu
Tue Sep 2 13:56:51 EDT 2008

To everyone --
Libby Tisdell here again from Penn State. First, thanks David for this
really helpful information!! And thanks to so many others to responded to
my query about financial literacy education programs. Now I'm wondering if
someone can help me with something else. I joined this list because I
though y'all could give me some good information about financial literacy,
which you have.

But now I need to know how many members are on this list (this is a
professional development list.), Is there a more general adult literacy
list through NIFL where I could get further information on financial
literacy education -- through doing a more formal research project? In
particular, I¹m proposing to do a survey (in the next six months or so ‹ not
immediately). We will be doing a survey, but am not sure yet if it will be
a phone survey or an online survey. These are the particular questions that
I need answered as I work on the proposal if anyone has the information:

1. Is there a general list of members of NIFL? ( On the National Institute
for Literacy website, you can choose to belong to several different
discussion boards. Is there a master discussion board AND/OR a Master
List??
2. If there is a general list of members of NIFL, is this strictly a list
serve? Or is there a list of e-mails and phone numbers for the list?
3. If such a list exists (with phone numbers as well as , is the list free,
or does one need to pay for the list, and if so, how much would it be?
4. If there is a master list, who controls it?
5. If there is not a master list but only a listserve, who controls that?

Thanks so much --
Libby Tisdell

Elizabeth J. Tisdell, EdD
Associate Professor of Adult Education
Adult Education Doctoral Program Coordinator
Penn State University - Harrisburg
777 W. Harrisburg Pike
Middletown, PA 17057

e-mail: ejt11 at psu.edu
work: 717-948-6640
cell: 717-579-8835
FAX: 717-948-6064

On 8/31/08 10:25 PM, "David J. Rosen" <djrosen at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

> David J. Rosen

> djrosen at comcast.net

> On Aug 28, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Libby Tisdell wrote:

>> Hey Everyone --

>> My name is Libby Tisdell, and I'm new to this list serve. I'm not

>> really a

>> literacy educator as much as I'm an Adult Education professor, which

>> includes the professional development of literacy educators. I'm

>> wondering

>> if some of you folks might be able to help me.

>> I'm doing a project on financial literacy education. At this

>> point mostly

>> I'm doing a literature review, and searching for appropriate places

>> and

>> groups to do some survey research with to find out who is doing more

>> community based financial literacy education.

>> Can anyone tell me the extent to which literacy educators in

>> general might

>> deal with financial literacy education issues, and if this is

>> something

>> that is typically dealt with by Literacy Educators in general? If

>> so, what

>> level of financial literacy education would you be dealing with?

>> Budgeting?

>> Checkwriting? Investing?

>> Most of the financial literacy education literature I've located is

>> pretty

>> much aimed more at those who are middle class and above. I'm more

>> interested in who is doing financial literacy education with a less

>> moneyed

>> audience, and with folks who wouldn't have the money or inclination

>> to ever

>> pay for financial planning services, basically those who are

>> underserved on

>> multiple levels. I'm esepcially interested in how this plays out for

>> working class women, people of color, those not born int he U.S,

>> and older

>> people. If any of you could help me with finding information about

>> this, I

>> would be most appreciative.

>> Libby Tisdell

>> Elizabeth J. Tisdell, EdD

>> Associate Professor of Adult Education

>> Adult Education Doctoral Program Coordinator

>> Penn State University - Harrisburg

>> 777 W. Harrisburg Pike

>> Middletown, PA 17057

>> e-mail: ejt11 at psu.edu

>> work: 717-948-6640

>> cell: 717-579-8835

>> FAX: 717-948-6064

>> On 8/28/08 4:35 PM, "Katrina Hinson" <khinson at almanid.com> wrote:

>>> I agree...I don't post as often as I would like but I do find the

>>> lists useful

>>> in so many ways - even more so as I've started a PhD program and

>>> trying to

>>> balance the work I do with adult literacy with other things.

>>> Sometimes the

>>> things I learn or read on the lists provide reflective thoughts on

>>> Regards,

>>> Katrina Hinson

>>> I find these lists so useful as I reflect, struggle to reach more

>>> learners in

>>> more efficient and effective ways. I confess I rarely participate

>>> with

>>> postings, but I'm learning, thinking and reading!

>>> Janet Hughes

>>> Literacy Volunteers & Advocates

>>> Washington, DC

>>> professionaldevelopment at nifl.gov

>>> To unsubscribe or change your subscription settings, please go to

>>> Professional Development section of the Adult Literacy Education Wiki

>>> http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/

>>> Adult_Literacy_Professional_Development