National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2482] Re: How You Benefit

Colletti, Cyndy CColletti at ILSOS.NET
Tue Sep 2 09:53:24 EDT 2008

Hi Jackie,

I subscribe to several of the NIFL lists. For years I have relied on reading the topical discussions so that I can see what other practitioners are doing in adult literacy. Our field is widely scattered geographically, widely diverse in practice and we need professional connection. Overall, I stay current with the field through these discussions. Whether I agree, disagree or remain neutral, I always learn.

I use the lists in another way. I mediate the information. In Illinois, we have about 200 adult education and literacy programs funded through our office at the State Library. We send out a monthly electronic newsletter to keep everyone informed. I gather information from the lists on grants available, on activities going on, on workshops, etc. for the newsletter. I have passed along whole posts from such authors as Tom Sticht. I have promoted special discussions as they go on. I credit the lists and the authors. I know that this disseminates the information and perhaps encourages others to subscribe.

I join the others in thanking NIFL for hosting and Jackie for facilitating this list.

Cyndy Colletti
Literacy Program Manager
Illinois State Library Literacy Office
Gwendolyn Brooks Building
300 S. Second Street
Springfield, IL 62701-1796
217-785-6921
fax: 217-785-6927
ccolletti at ilsos.net

Jesse White, Secretary of State and State Librarian

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.