National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2452] The PD list and communities of practice?

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Thu Aug 21 08:19:48 EDT 2008

Good day or evening, all,

I meant to mention yesterday (in my long post) that I'm writing an
article on the National Institute for Literacy's Discussion Lists for
the COABE/ProLiteracy journal. So I would like your thoughts on using
"communities of practice" as language to describe the lists.

Would you consider this NIFL-AALPD list (and perhaps other NIFL lists)
"communities of practice?" (CoPs)

Thoughts, concerns, or reactions? For example, does subscribing to a
list automatically make one a member of a CoP?

Thanks in advance,

Jackie Taylor

About the PD List:

>From Etienne Wenger: http://www.ewenger.com/theory/index.htm .

Communities of practice are:

Groups of people who share a concern or a passion for something they do
and they learn how to do it better as they interact regularly.

CoPs share a common interest and commitment to that interest that
distinguishes them from others, they engage in joint learning activities
(whether intentional or not), build relationships that enable them to
learn from one another, and they strive to improve what they do.