National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2449] Re: [Professional Development 2448] Re: Universal Design and ProfessionalDevelopment

Lenore Balliro lenore_balliro at worlded.org
Wed Aug 20 18:59:43 EDT 2008

Dear Don,
Thank you for the link, and I look forward to reading your articles. I
think what has impressed me the most about UD principles is the
necessity to stop and examine our assumptions before we plan classes.
Can everyone read? Can everyone write? Is everyone comfortable talking
in groups? How can we involve the greatest number of participants in a
lesson? How can we modify lessons to increase comprehension and
participation? What schemas (formal and content), supports, and
classroom rituals can we offer and repeat to help students scaffold
learning? UD has helped me to think in terms of codifying these
questions so I am more likely to be conscious of them when I
plan--lessons or curricula.
Lenore Balliro
World Education, Boston

Hello Colleagues,

I have studied UD for a number of years now and have developed and
delivered professional development about UD for adult educators at
various levels (ABE, GED, ESOL, technical education, community college,
and university) at conferences and educational institutions. The
approach I use is to focus on the diversity of students: ethnicity,
gender, disability status, natonal origin, learning styles, etc... My
approach is more generalized in that I don't promote one approach to UD
such as UDL (Universal Design for Learning) or UDI (Universal Design for
Instruction) and so on, but rather, I take a more general approach for
applying the nine principles of UD to classes. Applications I typically
discuss include materials, assessments (particularly to provide
alternative formats--especially digital) as well as discussing the
physical environment.

I have a website that includes some articles I have written and examples
of handouts from UD workshops I have conducted. Go to
http://www.DonFinn.com and click on the "Publications" link.

I hope this is helpful!

Don Finn

Donald E. Finn, Ph. D.