National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2424] Re: student publications

mev at litwomen.org mev at litwomen.org
Wed Jul 30 09:42:56 EDT 2008

WE LEARN (Women Expanding Literacy Education Action Resource) has a
biannual newsletter that includes a "Student Voices" Column edited by
Donna Jones (a student leader in San Francisco) -- and occasionally
we include additional writings in our newsletter - depending on space
-- and if they address women-centered topics or express women's voice.

More formally, WE LEARN annually published "Women's Perspectives" -
an theme-based publication that showcases writings by adult literacy/
basic education students across all levels from across the U.S. and
Canada. These collections provide a forum for ABE learners to
consider and further their knowledge about a variety of issues
relative to women's experiences that continue to impact their lives
(for details, go to: http://www.litwomen.org/perspectives.html). The
call for 2009 will be available in September or early October. We are
doing some strategic planning at this point to expand this
publication as a self-sustaining more student-based leadership project.

WE LEARN has posted some student writings on our website - but that's
an area of the site that needs updating and more regular attention
--- (volunteers?)

I have (for the past 5 years) also managed the production of "Sharing
Our Thoughts" in regional Southeast Massachusetts funded by SABES SE
-- though I think for next year that project will be taking a
different direction to more program-based publications.

Mev

Mev Miller, Ed.D., Director
welearn at litwomen.org

WE LEARN
Women Expanding: Literacy Education Action Resource Network
www.litwomen.org/welearn.html

182 Riverside Ave.
Cranston, RI 02910
401-383-4374