National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2411] Re: FW: from Lynn, re: Cued speech and empowerment

Iungo iungo at telus.net
Sun Jul 27 15:11:42 EDT 2008

Hello all -
Jackie, regarding you comments/question below.

Firstly, I would define empowerment as an individual having the skill sets and confidence necessary to enable change for the positive in their life. Would you agree?

Presuming that we have common ground here, how then does CS empower? The ESL student/learner accesses the sounds of language, consonants and vowels, through their own hands, body and mind. I would liken it to individuals who have learned to play a musical instrument or a golfer. The skill becomes "automatic", the hands find the right key/positions, the ears recognize the "on target" sounds and the body knows when you are "on the mark". You body, mind and ear are a team; very adept at letting you know if/when you have made an error. The same can be said for individuals who cue proficiently. I do not profess to know how or why this happens. I do find it all very fascinating though!

Cueing allows the ESL individual, for example, to correct their "accent" in English, loosing the "foreign" sound, if I may be so bold. It provides them with "feedback" in a very time efficient manner.

Cueing is best learned face to face. The classroom environment for the ESL student an optimum and ideal opportunity.

I am aware of one indidividual whose first language was French. She attended a professional Cued Englishl weekend workshop in Edmonton, Alberta. The intent being for this individual to learn how to cue English. Also attending this same workshop was an individual who cued French. The first individual is now a fluent cuer in both languages and in her own words," I catch myself when my French accent sneaks into my spoken English. I can correct imyself by cueing the English word."

I hope that this provides you with some insight into the system of Cued Speech. I would be happy to connect with any indiviudal(s), interested in learning to cue and possible implementation into an existing ESL program. Perhaps this is something that can be accomplisheed via a web-cam and the internet.

I look forward to futher dialouge.

Lynn