National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2410] Re: Motivating and Creating an Inspiring Environment

Joyce Bogdan jlin29 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 13:55:06 EDT 2008

Jackie,
I teach beginner English for Speaker of Other Language (ESOL) adults.  (I also teach middle school ESOL at all fluency levels and in the past have taught elementary and high school level.)  A motiviated student is excited, and is an enthusiast person.  S/he is an active participant in all of the lessons, volunteers and is motivated by asking questions and making connections.  The student will try, use a translator, &/or Eng./first language dictionary and try to help other students.  I do see several motivated students--many are well educated in their own country and speak their first language well.  Some are not well educated or have not had the opportunity to attend school in their country.  They want to succeed in the US and are motivated to learn English to get a job, attend a university or to get a better job.

I also teach a graduate level Independent Studies course at www.chapman.edu/exed/k-12 called Teaching English Language Learners. It is for mainstream teachers to learn about materials and new strategies in order to design lessons for their classrooms to motivate and include English Language Learners (ELLs).  If the students can understand, are given the proper prior knowledge, key vocabulary and are making connections, asking questions and wondering about information they will be productive and active members in your class.

As a motivated instructor I try to make the atmosphere friendly and encouraging--(lowering the frustration level), I make the content understandable (comprehensible input) and make it possible for my students to respond at their level of English Language fluency (output--Krashen's theory  for  Language acquisition).  I use visuals, realia, tradebooks, graphic organizers, repetition, restating and real language.  I also work with the whole group, partners, small group and individuals.  I also believe that all students can learn and with patience and understanding will grow.  I believe that the students know if you are interested and concerned about their learning and that you believe in them even if they don't yet believe in themselves.
Joyce Bogdan
Bogdan Instruction
www.yougottacall.com