National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2375] Re: Critical Thinking, Education and Social Action

DAVID GREENE eagle3372 at msn.com
Sat Jul 19 14:09:03 EDT 2008

Dear friends,

!n 2003, the New York City Department of Education announced that they
were closing the Basic Education and GED classes at Our Lady of Refuge
Church in Brooklyn, NY. This action would dramatically affect the 70
students that I was teaching in the basement of the church. These were
free classes and there were few other educational opportunities for adult
students in the area. Most students were women, minorities, immigrants and
working class. They have less access to many social services, including
childcare, legal aid, health care and advocacy, etc., because of budget cuts
and the low priority that these occupy in governemnt agendas - city, state
and federal.

The urgency of the issue provided an opportunity to hold several
important discussions in classes
for students to learn and articulate their concerns. They studied and
discussed what they could do
to keep the classes open, organized a student committee and elected their
leaders. They looked at past efforts to organize including the antislavery,
labor and civil rights movements. They began to organize support in the
church, the community, the teacher's union, and other classes. Several
small news articles drew attention to the injustice that they were
describing and they forced the school superintendent to meet with them. In
a larger public forum they got him to sign an agreement to keep the classes
open and provide many resources to the classes.

This process changed the view and understanding of many invloved. It was
clearly educational in many ways, and illustrated how they could change
conditions if they understood what was going on.
Students developed research, organizational and public speaking skills.
This provided an opportunity
to have the most relevant learning and discussion about government and
democratic participation.
It clearly allowed for and promoted a critical examination of our realities
and promoted a 'we can solve this' approach.

There are many issues affecting adult student lives and they are a
vitally important and relevant medium for learning and critical thinking,
questioning and understanding what is going on around us and why. In our
world today, we face uncertain economic changes that are affecting all of us
and
particularly the students we teach and work with. We don't need to import
an 'activist agenda', but adult education particularly needs to integrate
the real world issues that confront all of us.
The fact that adult education/literacy classes reach only a small fraction
of the potential population and that funding for these programs is woefully
inadequate, should clearly illustrate that the survival
of classes is dependent on social awareness. Greater understanding of
social issues, learning that is based on real life student problems and
civic literacy (including organizing and advocacy) are subjects
that should be taught in every program.

David Greene