National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2294] Re: Whatdowemeanbystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Lenore Balliro lenore_balliro at worlded.org
Mon Jul 14 15:12:03 EDT 2008

Janet and all,
Lenore Balliro from World Education in Boston here. I'm wondering, too,
about helping students investigate their own purposes and audiences for
using English, then investigating how "correct" one has to be in each of
those arenas as they are learning the language. This type of critical
thinking/metacognition might free students from the paralysis that
results of attending to each word and striving for perfection with each
utterance. Where is it OK to stumble, overreach, make lots of mistakes
without huge consequences and possible delightful results? When is it
more risky to do this?
a>>> Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis at brown.edu> 7/14/2008 2:45 PM >>>
Steve

I wonder if we're overlooking some of the considerations around
purposes of
learning language.

I listened to your blog post about critical thinking and one thing
that
occurred to me then, and occurs to me here is the fact that adults have
all
sorts of reasons for wanting - and needing - to learn language, which
is
where some of the parallels between learning to sing and learning to
communicate might not be as helpful.

If I'm wanting to learn, say, Chinese, so I might try to follow the
Olympics
on a web cast, or if I want to learn Italian, to understand an opera,
it's
very different than trying to learn either of those two languages in
order
to communicate effectively in areas where those languages are spoken.

I wonder if this might tie (tangentially) into Jackie's last question
about
learner involvement, and how learners' determined needs and goals might
have
some bearing on this whole consideration of critical thinking?

Janet