National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2282] Understanding Critical Thinking

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Mon Jul 14 10:38:37 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

As we continue to share ways to practice critical thinking (CT) with our
students and others, what exactly are we talking about practicing?

I've listed items (from our discussion - your words) that describe what
we mean by CT:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Critical_Thinking:_Summary

I've had difficulty finding a formal definition elsewhere -- I imagine
because creating a static definition of CT is counterproductive to it.
I've included one description from Stephen Brookfield below with links
to other definitions and an article. Here is what I've heard so far:

Critical thinking (CT) is more than logical analysis. Critical thinking
includes:

* Cognitive: logical processes in problem solving and moving
through higher-order thinking skills as in Bloom's taxonomy, including
interpretation, analysis, evaluation, inference, explanation, and
related skills
* Disposition: traits of a "good" critical thinker
* "Critique": questioning underlying assumptions - the "what" and
"why" of it
* Purpose:

a. Develop agency: the capacity, condition, or state of
acting or of exerting power : operation (Merriam-Webster)
b. Create and maintain a healthy democracy

Would you categorize or describe this differently?

What would you add that does not already fall under these categories?

What would you remove?

How does this compare to definitions in research and literature? (See
below)

Definitions from Research and Literature

According to Stephen Brookfield:

"Critical thinking can be recognized in the contexts of our personal
relationships, work activities, and political involvements. This
activity entails much more than the skills of logical analysis taught in
so many college courses on critical thinking. It involves our calling
into question the assumptions underlying our customary, habitual ways of
thinking and acting and then being ready to think and act differently on
the basis of this critical questioning."

He goes on to say:

"Being a critical thinker is part of what it means to be a developing
person, and fostering critical thinking is crucial to creating and
maintaining a healthy democracy. Without critical thinking our personal
relationships become atrophied, our workplaces remain organized as they
were 20 years ago, and our political involvements dwindle to the point
of total nonparticipation." (Developing Critical Thinkers: Challenging
Adults to Explore Alternative Ways of Thinking and Acting pg. 1).

For a definition from Delphi research, visit:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Terms:Student_Involvement_and_Cri
tical_Thinking

For a layman's terms, see this helpful article:

http://www.insightassessment.com/pdf_files/what&why2006.pdf

I hope you'll share other useful definitions you've found.

Thanks, Jackie

Jackie Taylor, List Moderator, jataylor at utk.edu