National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2274] Re: Whatdo wemeanbystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Fri Jul 11 17:43:00 EDT 2008

Kearney,

I do not dispute that debating or the practice of rhetoric can improve one's
ability to reason. I also believe that all rhetorical techniques, include
hyperbole, allegory and even sarcasm have their place. Defending one's
position, countering these techniques, and using them, is a good exercize in
reasoning, even though the assumptions are usually arrived at before the
"critical thinking" begins.

Unfortunately, the recent trend in educational circles seems to favour
"dialoguing", whereby we pretend to agree with whatever is said, and look
for points that we have in common, and should avoid trying to persuade
anyone of one's point of view. This leads to a sterile discussion. It only
works if everyone actually does agree, or if contrary views can be
suppressed..

Here, on this forum, it has appeared to me that "critical thinking" has been
discussed in the sense that English teachers are looking for ways to help
their students to challenge basic their assumptions as part of their English
learning, and at a very early stage in their English learning. I feel that
this is unrealistic. Try persuading a religious person to challenge the
basic assumptions of their religion and see how far you get.

Rhetoric, is a valuable and an advanced skill, and can only be taught after
one has a sufficient range of vocabulary to use it effectively.

I am of the opinion that beginner ESL learners should be allowed to listen
to the language and try to enjoy it, with little requirement to state what
their assumptions are on anything.

Steve

--
Steve Kaufmann