National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2266] Re: Whatdo wemeanbystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Fri Jul 11 14:52:42 EDT 2008

Bonnie,

I agree with you. Rhetoric as practiced by the ancients is a good
discipline. It helps you to organize your thoughts in order to persuade
others. This forces you to think about logical connections between ideas. It
does not make you more open minded. Most of us arrive at our points of view
emotionally, rather than through some clear "critical thinking" path. The
skills of rhetoric are useful tools for persuading others of our beliefs. I
do not think that most English teachers, myself included, can teach our
learners to think, critically or otherwise, nor is it our mandate.
Here is what I said recently in reply to a questioner at one of my youtubes.
1) You can teach methods of organizing your thoughts in order to express
them convincingly. I don't believe ESL teachers can teach how to think, how
to be open to new ideas, how to question assumptions, without imposing their
own assumptions. We arrive at our views based more on emotion than logic,
and use logic to justify these views.
2)Language is part of your culture and affects your world view. Each
successive language you learn opens your mind to new perspectives.

<http://ca.youtube.com/video_response_upload?v=to9asMOReyY>

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com