National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2239] Re: What do we mean bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Louise Wiener lwiener at llfinc.org
Wed Jul 9 23:00:32 EDT 2008

Hi Steve,

LLF teaches teachers another strategy ( visual literacy) for engaging adult
learners in achieving literacy and math proficiency. LLF designs classroom
experiential education and enrichment materials and provides professional
development services around those materials. It is not the goals but the
method which is a little different.

You are quite right, we backed into adult education around parent
involvement and family leadership issues. What we learned was that, logic
notwithstanding, connecting adult and early childhood outcomes is still a
stretch. However, visual literacy, in and of itself, appears to be a useful
tool for engaging adults in strengthening their basic skills particularly
observation, critical thinking, and communications skills. The work has
shown promise in strengthening self-expression through speaking and writing,
and improved confidence in math ( understanding geometry and measurement)
and social studies, particularly graphing and mapping outcomes.

Hope that helps - Louise