National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2231] Re: What do we mean bystudentinvolvement and critical thinking?

Steve Kaufmann steve at thelinguist.com
Wed Jul 9 15:03:34 EDT 2008

With regard to Bonnie's post, I feel that critical thinking is not the same
as the ability to present an argument. The former exists to some extent in
all of us, and I doubt that it can be deliberately taught as a skill without
getting pretty condescending. It is dependent on our personality, culture,
and exposure to a variety of experience and points of view.

The ability to carry an argument requires good language skills, first and
foremost. I do not mean getting the article, tenses and prepositions right,
I mean control of a wide vocabulary. In an academic setting it means being
able to look at both sides of an argument, to describe competing points of
view, and then explain convincingly why one is superior or truer than
others. Even ancient Roman rhetoric had the Refutatio where the orator at
least pretended to present a view contrary to his own, only to then take it
apart.

Steve

--
Steve Kaufmann