National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2216] Re: Critical thinking in the Beginning ESL classroom

Wrigley, Heide heide at literacywork.com
Tue Jul 8 18:31:20 EDT 2008

Hi, Barbara

I think this is a terrific example of critical thinking and opening students' minds to new ideas while using engaging materials and simple questions that help the class examine their assumptions. It's not easy to do these things in classes where students understand only a bit of English and are struggling with expressing themselves in the new language. I also like the way conversation flows between the first language and English in your class

I also like that as a group we are starting to make a strong distinctions between student involvement (which can be done using trivial activities) and the challenge of asking students to view themselves, others and the world from new perspectives (while still building on what students know - ( or think they know :))

Thanks so much

Heide Spruck Wrigley

Mesilla, NM