National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2192] Re: Information for Guest Discussion

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Mon Jul 7 17:04:19 EDT 2008

Hi Jim, and welcome to the discussion!

You wrote, "Please explain the second bullet, i.e., what are "trailing
replies," what is "trimming" them, and pretty much the whole rest of
that bullet. In non-tech speak, please. Sorry, I'm new to participating
in these discussions. I've only replied to something once and that was a
couple of years ago."

Yes, I see what you mean about the tech speak! Sorry about that.

1. "Trailing replies"

Trailing replies are the old messages you see in an email when you click
"reply." So take this email for example. To "trim" trailing replies, I
would delete everything beneath my signature _before_ I hit send. (I've
left the replies in this email so that you can see what I mean by
trailing replies.) If there are parts of other messages that you'd like
to include in your message, you might copy and paste them into your new
message (like I did by quoting you above) so that it is clear about
which points you are addressing.

2. "Digest format"

Digest format is a discussion list subscription option for subscribers.
You can set your subscription to receive posts bundled in one or two
emails per day (versus 1 email per posting). Think of it like collecting
a stack of newspapers but instead you're collecting a stack of emails.
When the stack reaches a certain size, the discussion list software puts
all posts into one long email and sends it to you.

But if each post contains all of the old "trailing replies" then you
might imagine how difficult that could be to sort through. Plus the
stack grows faster and you'll receive just as many digest emails as you
would if you weren't subscribed in digest format. Thus my suggestion in
#1 above.

Not completely devoid of "non-tech speak" I'm afraid. But does this help
at all? (And if other digest subscribers want to chime in, please do!)

Cheers, Jackie
jataylor at utk.edu

Please explain the second bullet, i.e., what are "trailing replies,"
what is "trimming" them, and pretty much the whole rest of that bullet.
In non-tech speak, please. Sorry, I'm new to participating in these
discussions. I've only replied to something once and that was a couple
of years ago.
Thanks,
Jim