National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2189] Getting beginning level ESL students involved from the start

Wrigley, Heide heide at literacywork.com
Mon Jul 7 14:22:43 EDT 2008

Thanks, Cynthia those are great ideas for getting students connected with each other and taking advantage of what they know and are experts in. So many times it sounds bogus to students when the teacher says "we are all learners here and I learn as much from you as you learn from me" (then why does the teacher get paid and the students don't). So I think the challenge becomes to take advantage of situations where the students genuinely know more than the teacher - students are experts in their own lives; they own their experiences, and they certainly know what happened to them (which can become role plays and scenarios once students have a bit more English) -

I wanted to add a couple of variations to what you had written:

1. I think there's great promise in inviting students to express themselves through drawings and pictures. During the first week, we ask students to make "name tents" and the draw "three things about me" on the back. If it's a beginning class, the teacher models both the "task" and the language (My name is Heide. I'm from Germany (beer stein and soccer ball). I like to hike (stick figure) and I live in the desert (cactus). Some students may need to ask for the words in English that go with their drawings but between the teacher and the other students they usually manage. Students then get a minute to think about what they want to say (mental practice), and then share who they are with a partner and then a small group (Think, Pair, Share). This can go on for a bit to help students get to know each other and build community. Volunteers then share their story with the larger group -

For beginners, it often works well to encourage them to work some more on their name tents if they would like. I've explained to students that I'd like to keep the tents to help me remember who they are - and I've seen amazing work - drawings, pictures, from magazines, small items glued to the paper (a Budweiser bottle cap in one case - but that was a teacher in a workshop)

One teacher in a family literacy program told me she asks parents and children to make "me bags" - that contain real objects that reflect who they are - and students are quite excited to find out what others are unpacking each day.

Students demonstrating what they are good at and sharing information

I think students sharing their special skills that teachers don’t know about is one of those situations where the teachers as co-learner becomes quite real (I, for example, suck at making those big gorgeous Mexican crepe paper flowers). And tortilla making really seems to resonate with a lot of students. In one of the Socorro, TX classes, none of the young women from Mexico had ever made tortillas from scratch so they decided to learn, document the process (with story boards and then digital cameras) and share it with others. Here’s the Lesson Plan by Rosanne Loya and the pictures the students took.

http://bordercivics.org/Products/Lesson_Plans/Storyboard_Activity_Desc_Table.htm

For those of who interested in using craft projects, here’s another example from the Border Civics project by Susan Zander and her students

http://bordercivics.org/Products/Lesson_Plans/How_to_Make_a_Craft/How_to_Make_a_Craft_Lesson_Plan.htm

So thanks again Cynthia for getting us started on specific ideas – I very much appreciate your taking the time to offer not only ideas but such great details.

Any insights from others on using “critical incidents” in students’ lives as a way to have students discuss issues that they are concerned about (before and after Role Plays for example)

All the best

Heide Spruck Wrigley