National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 2063] Re: Adult Reading COABEPre-conferencesession

Wendi Maxwell WMaxwell at cde.ca.gov
Tue Apr 8 13:26:37 EDT 2008

California published four research digests on evidence based reading
instruction. They are designed specifically to provide an overview for
adult education teachers. You can download the digests at the URL
below.

http://www.calpro-online.org/pubs.asp

Wendi Maxwell
Education Programs Consultant
Adult Education Office
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 4503

>>> Susan McShane <smcshane at famlit.org> 4/8/2008 10:03 AM >>>

You can get the book upon which my training is based: *Applying
Research in Reading Instruction for Adults: First Steps for Teachers*
(McShane, 2005) by calling Ed Pubs at 1-800-228-8813, or emailing
edpubs at inet.ed.gov

The National Institute for Literacy has lots of other resources online
at www.nifl.gov/ (and available from Ed Pubs). You and others may
already be aware of these, but just in case some readers are not, I do
want to suggest the following:

o What is Scientifically Based Research?(Fall 2005)
o Report of the National Reading Panel:Teaching Children to Read
o Research-Based Principles forAdult Basic Education Reading
Instruction(Fall 2002)
o Teaching Adults to Read(Fall 2005) (This is a shorter version of
the Researched-Based Principles book)

Just click on publications on the site, www.nifl.gov (
http://www.nifl.gov/ )

Also check out the NCSALL web site for information about the Adult
Reading Components Study (ARCS). Check research briefs under
publications at http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=15
for the ARCS research brief (Strucker & Davidson). Another interesting
article you*ll find there is *The Relationship of the Components of
Reading to Performance on the International Adult Literacy Survey
(Strucker, Yamamoto, & Kirsch).

For more information on he ARCS and some free assessments, check out
the Institute*s *Assessment Strategies and Reading Profiles* site:
http://www.nifl.gov/readingprofiles/

I hope this is helpful. Get in touch with me at smcshane at famlit.org if
you want to talk about any of this. We*ve done a couple of projects
involving diagnostic reading assessment and would be happy to share our
experiences.