National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1919] Re: Volunteer tutors

Lendoak at aol.com Lendoak at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 13:18:07 EST 2008

We wonder you are painting with too broad a brush in labeling volunteer
tutors as "well meaning but incompetent", "not productive", etc. Would you
consider hard data on their productivity?

Literacy Volunteers of America, LVA, (now a part of Pro-Literacy
International) required that all volunteer tutors take 20 hours of training before
tutoring a student, and to take follow up in-service training. (LVA had well
over 50,000 volunteer tutors.) Further, tutors are required to periodically
measure and report on student progress. The data on tens of thousands of
students: On average, students progressed two grade levels per year in their reading
and writing skills. In addition, students reported huge improvements in
feelings of self-worth and empowerment. Would you want to call all that "not
productive?"

Len and Ceci Doak
(former vol. tutors of reading and ESL)

In a message dated 2/8/2008 9:30:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,