National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1918] Re: Volunteer tutors

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 11:18:48 EST 2008

Jodi-- It is laudable, of course, that you are attempting to find this out. I am sure you will learn about some very progressive approaches to this thorny problem and be able to make some recommendations to others with evidence to show that things CAN be done differently. ??

I believe that just because people are volunteers does not mean that they should be permitted-- expected even- to be incompetent at what they are volunteering for at the expense of the learners who need the services so badly.?? Tutor attrition is just as bad as learner attrition in some areas. One way, as I suggested in my previous post, to address that issue is to help tutors be more competent so that they are really able to address their student's needs well.? Their success will be as important to their persistence as success is to learners' persistence.? I believe that was one of the findings in the NCSALL Persistence study, done with volunteer literacy programs. ?

Robin ??