National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1861] Post-GED statistics

robinschwarz1 at aol.com robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 14:38:30 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: robinschwarz1 at aol.com
To: professionaldevelopment at nifl.gov
Sent: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:08 pm
Subject: Re: [ProfessionalDevelopment 1855] Re: Learner Perspectives at the ALE Wiki

One statistic that was being tossed around in '06 was that 7%? (that's right-- .07)? of GED completers went on to SOME kind of post secondary education or training and completed THAT.??? If you want to look at a much higher rate. contact Santa Fe Community College, which has hugely increased that number.?

I would be interested to know what percent of that 7% were students who took the GED because they were too bored or otherwise unhappy in high school and decided to just get the GED and get it over with so they could get on to college. ? I actually know several of those people.?

This low continuation rate sparked an interesting conversation on the LD listserve and FOB I think, on what happens in GED programs and what could be done to help GED completers to continue on. The transition discussion on one of these listservs addressed many issues connected to helping GED students continue their education or training.??

Robin Lovrien Schwarz