National Institute for Literacy

[ProfessionalDevelopment 1823] from Cris, Accountability and Professional Development Survey

Taylor, Jackie jataylor at utk.edu
Thu Jan 3 11:18:56 EST 2008

Hello, all. Cristine Smith here. So far, I have gotten 40 responses to
the Survey I asked you to complete in December! I'm very thrilled with
this response. For those of you who took the time to fill it out, THANK
YOU!! The information I'm getting from you is quite valuable and will
be, I hope, valuable to our field, especially those of us who work in
professional development.

For those of you who haven't yet filled out the survey, there's still
time! Read on....

I am a former chair of the Association of Adult Literacy Professional
Developers, former deputy director of the National Center for the Study
of Adult Learning and Literacy, and now an assistant professor at the
University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Many of you know that I directed
NCSALL's five-year study of teacher change and professional development
in adult education.

I'm currently doing some research for an article about how the
accountability system in adult basic education has affected professional
development in our field.

If you work in the field of adult basic and literacy education AND you
provide, plan or make decisions about professional development for
practitioners in your program, state or nationally, I'd like your help.

Please click on the link below. It will take you to a short 10-question
survey. You do not need to register, log in, or give your name, state,
or any personal information. The whole survey takes no more than a few
minutes (depending on how much you write in the comments section of the
last question!) Thanks.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=TseraqLIt9aH5FJ5TV3ENQ_3d_3d
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=TseraqLIt9aH5FJ5TV3ENQ_3d_3d>

The deadline for completing the survey is January 11, 2008. Thank you
in advance for your assistance. If you have any questions about the
survey, please contact me at cristinesmith at comcast.net
<mailto:cristinesmith at comcast.net>

Cristine Smith

Assistant Professor