National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 2162] Re: mild intellectual disabilities

Jo Ann Fishburn fishburnja at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 19:45:13 EDT 2008

Several years ago I was teaching two brothers in their early twenties who were mentally challenged. The older brother probably fell in the range you are describing. I used ABeCeDarian Long B-1 and 2 with him quite successfully. It moved along at a pace he could handle.
His younger brother was much more disabled. I didn't have IQ numbers on either of them, but he seemed to me like a 5 or 6-year-old mentally. He was unable to count change despite attempts to teach him, if that's any indication. He had been in special education in high school. I wasn't making much progress with him because he needed so much repetition. However, he did make progress when I had him do the online decoding program Headsprout. If you aren't familiar with it, it takes students from 0-2.5, using rather simple space creatures and stories. For most young adults the program looks very babyish, although it doesn't have any children in the pictures. This young man found the stories funny and was willing to work hard on the lessons, which gave far more repetition than a human teacher ever could. There are printable stories to use at certain points in the lessons. When reading the stories indicated he hadn't mastered the material I was able to drop him
back some to go over the lessons again, and he was patient about doing that.
I had to change work sites after about 6 months of this. He had definitely made progress, although he wasn't at the end of the lessons. I felt he knew a lot more than he had after years of special ed. Just something to consider. Headsprout was giving 5 free slots to teachers, and maybe they still do that. They were interested in hearing about the program's effectiveness with an adult mentally-challenged population so they may be willing to still do the free slots. I don't know what their current policy is.
Jo Ann