National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1728] Re: Research Validated ReadingInstruction- Hooked on Phonics?

Muro, Andres amuro5 at epcc.edu
Sat Feb 16 20:35:57 EST 2008

Hey Robin:

Thanks for the reference. However, my post stated that I wanted to see an article published in a respected journal that showed that teaching phonics was useful to dyslexics. The website is for a lab that starts with the premise that phonetic decoding is necessary for proper reading. and then lists statements and some suggest that. However, the website does not site a single article in a respected journal, nor does it provide an abstract to any article that shows that phonics is a good tool.

In fact, the claim that phonic decoding is necessary for proper reading is totally absurd if you consider that there are many fluent readers who are deaf from birth. If you consider deafness the ultimate form of dyslexia, you will agree that it is al least possible to learn to read properly without the aids of phonics.

Now, when I say I want to see an article in a respected journal, I mean a respected journal that has a 20% to 30% acceptance rate that is considered a leading journal in the field, such as reading research quarterly, the journal of ABE, Harvard Ed Review, TESOL Quarterly, etc. The article should show that phonics is the way to teach dyslexics proper reading.
If this was the case, such article should be easy to find, and the phonics pushers in these lists should be able to readily refer to them, since, I am sure, they must have read them.

In lieu of an article, I will accept a reference from a text in physiology, speech pathology, that is considered a leading text in the field and is regularly used in graduate education programs. Truespell, Hooked on phonics and the one tha annita landoll push are not considered true research pieces.

Andres