National Institute for Literacy

[LearningDisabilities 1717] Re: Research Validated Reading Instruction- Hooked on Phonics?

Carol Allen allenc at rccc.cc.nc.us
Fri Feb 15 11:50:10 EST 2008

I have used HEC Reading Horizons with Adults with LD with much success. I have used both the computer based version and the paper version. I think it would also work well with children also. However, when I worked at the elementary school, we did not have access to this program. The website is www.readinghorizons.com.
I used the old tape version of Hooked on Phonics, but personally, I liked the Reading Horizons better. Adults got less bored with Hooked on Phonics. But I know it is a great program.Carol Allen
Career Readiness Certification Director
Rowan Cabarrus Community College
PO Box 1595
Salisbury, NC 28145-1595