National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 505] Professional Development through the ALE Wiki

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Sun Sep 17 11:24:53 EDT 2006

Colleagues,

The Adult Literacy Education Wiki (now with over 750 pages and nearly
700 registered users) is becoming a very useful resource for teachers
and other practitioners in adult literacy education. It includes 30
topics linking research, professional wisdom, and practice. It
offers easy-to-read archived discussions that were held on this and
other discussion lists, links to research and other resources,
questions (and sometimes answers) from teachers and other
practitioners and researchers, a comprehensive adult literacy
glossary, and more. It's free, and it's designed for you. Best of
all, it's not only a set of informative web pages. It's a community
of practice. You -- and your colleagues -- can easily add to and
improve it. It's a wiki!

To check out the ALE wiki, go to:

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Main_Page

You will see that some ALE topics need to be nurtured, and to grow.
They need a Topic Leader. Perhaps you would be the right person to
be a Topic Leader. To see a list of topics and leaders, go to

http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/Topic_Leaders

If you are interested in being a (volunteer) Topic Leader for an
existing topic, or if you would like to help develop a new topic, e-
mail me and tell me about yourself and your interest.

David J. Rosen
ALE Wiki Organizer and Wikiteer
djrosen at comcast.net