National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 499] Re: FW: [ProfessionalDevelopment 526] ESOL to ABE Transition

Mary Jane Jerde mjjerdems at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 10:19:06 EDT 2006

I suspect that we're differing in verbiage and not classroom technique. I taught pre-literacy to ESL students for seven years. These people needed it in an ESL context because they didn't have the vocabulary to deal with the normal native English speaker vocabulary in the ABE curriculum.

These were usually women from east Africa or Arabic speaking cultures, to generalize further, students who had no or little experience in schooling ever and who did not speak English.

Sometimes those from west Africa, or with some strong English background, were able to attend an ABE class. Frequently even they spent time in the conversational ESL classes gathering the vocabulary and experience to prepare for the ABE class.

The classes were all taught by instructors who were well prepared to teach. The students needed to be prepared to learn in an ABE environment.

Mary Jane Jerde

andresmuro at aol.com wrote: The logical process should be ABE to ESL. First, students acquire basic literacy in L1. Then, you can transition them into ESL and they will do very well. If you try to do the opposite, it will be very frustrating for students and teachers. I understand that there are things that make this process very difficult, e.g. too many languages, people from oral societies, etc. However, if at all possible, the process should be from ABE to ESL.

Andres

Please take a look at my artwork: www.geocities.com/andresmuro/art.html