National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 477] FW: [ContentStandards 247] Re: Teaching beyond the GED?

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Sat Sep 2 16:56:31 EDT 2006

Here is the post from David Rosen - let us hear what you think.

Marie

Marie Cora
NIFL Assessment Discussion List Moderator
marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Coordinator, LINCS Assessment Special Collection
http://literacy.kent.edu/Midwest/assessment/

**********

Hello Aaron and others,

On Sep 1, 2006, at 9:53 AM, you wrote:

> Donna,

> You raise some interesting points about the GED and whether the

> focus of instruction and assessment should go beyond preparation

> for the GED. It sounds like you believe that metacognitive skills

> - reasoning/thinking/analyzing skills- are also very important. I

> know there is some level of tension in the field when you have

> learners and/or programs stressing achievement of the GED in as

> short a time as possible as the ultimate goal vs. "preparing the

> adult learner for today's economy" as you have suggested. What do

> others think about this? What is our role as instructors?

I have thought about this recurrent question and propose the following:

The key is for each learner, in many cases with the help of a teacher
or counsel, to examine what "I want my GED" means.
" _Why_ do you want to get a GED (or ADP or EDP) ?" "If you had
it, what would you hope it would do for you?" The answers will
mostly fall in three categories:

1. GED as a terminal diploma or certificate

. I want to hold my head up as a holder of a GED or adult high school
diploma. Personal pride and satisfaction. Not so much for my job or
my career.
or
. I have to have a GED or h.s. diploma to keep my job. I need this
as soon as possible.
or
. I need a job now. I can't get one because I don't have a high
school diploma. I think, with a GED I can get a job. I don't care if
it's a low-paying job. I need money as soon as possible.

2. GED as a key to entering Post-Secondary education

. I want a good job, one that will enable me (and my family) to be
self-sufficient. I understand that the GED is not enough, that I have
to get at least a year of college, too, but the GED is needed first.
. I want to succeed in college, I understand that a GED may be enough
to get in, but I want to take regular, not developmental study
courses so I want to be prepared to do academic work in college, and
in other ways to be prepared for college before I enroll.

3. Limbo

. I don't know. I really don't. I was told to come here by my
social worker (parole officer, mother....)

Category 1 folks are "true GED" people. Category 2 folks are college
prep people. They need a GED or h.s. diploma _and_ transition to
college/college prep work. Category 3 people may or may not belong
in an adult education program. For example, some out-of-school youth
programs are designed help young adults get motivated.

A high quality, seamless adult education system (not necessarily
every program in the system) should offer all three options, and the
screening process should be such that students get referred to the
right option for their goal, so that "fast track for employment: GED
students get 1, GED for increased lifetime earning folks get 2, and
those who need motivation and counseling, and maybe a stimulating
program of education with try-out work, get 3.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net