National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 474] Special Topic: Formative Assessment inInternational Education

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu Aug 31 10:27:31 EDT 2006

Dear List Members:

The following post is from David Rosen, Moderator of the Special Topics
Discussion List. I highly encourage you to join this discussion as it
relates directly to our interests here on this List. The Discussion is
brief - 3 days - and it is my hope that we can learn a lot from Janet
Looney and carry on the discussion here on this List afterwards. I've
no doubt that many of you will have comments and questions regarding
formative assessment, and how this fits into our assessment landscape on
the program, state, and national levels.

Please subscribe to this discussion at the Special Topics Discussion
List at http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/SpecialTopics

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator

-------

Colleagues,

In preparation for celebrating International Literacy Day, on
September 5th-7th the Special Topics Discussion List is pleased to
welcome Ms. Janet Looney representing the Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development(OECD). Janet is the leader of the
Centre for Educational Research and Innovation program known as What
Works in Innovation in Education. Its current focus is formative
assessment. The discussion will serve to introduce some of OECD's
work in international education. The primary focus of the discussion
will be on the value of formative assessment for promoting higher
levels of learner achievement, greater equity of outcomes, and the
development of "learning to learn" skills.

Not a term widely known in the U.S., formative assessment refers to
what teachers and learners do in the classroom to assess learning
progress. An assessment is _formative_ when information gathered in
the assessment process is used to modify teaching and learning
activities. It's an assessment _for_ learning not just _of_ learning.

Between 2002 and 2004, the What Works program explored formative
assessment in lower secondary classrooms in eight international
systems [see Formative Assessment: Improving Learning in Secondary
Classrooms (2005)]. OECD will publish a second study addressing
formative assessment for adult basic skill learners in 2007.

Together, the two studies are intended to strengthen understanding of
effective approaches to lifelong learning.

FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT IN LOWER SECONDARY SCHOOLS

While many teachers incorporate aspects of formative assessment into
their teaching, it is not often practiced systematically. The What
Works study, Formative Assessment: Improving Learning in Secondary
Classrooms (2005), features exemplary cases from secondary schools in
eight systems and international research reviews, and relates these
to the broader policy environment. The study shows how teachers have
addressed barriers to systematic practice, and how school and policy
leaders may apply the principles of formative assessment to promote
constructive cultures of assessment and evaluation throughout
education systems.

FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT IN ADULT BASIC SKILL PROGRAMS

Formative approaches may be particularly appropriate for adults with
basic skill needs, the focus of the current What Works study.
Instructors using formative approaches are able to tailor instruction
more closely to the needs of diverse adult learners. Formative
approaches also place an explicit focus on identifying and building
upon learners' prior knowledge and skills - whether gained in formal
education settings, or informal work or other settings.

The OECD study on "Improving Teaching and Learning for Adults with
Basic Skill Needs through Formative Assessment" , now underway, is:

1. Developing studies of exemplary teaching and assessment practice
for adults with basic skill needs
2. Bringing together international scholarship on teaching and
assessment for adults with basic skill needs
3. Identifying effective policy levers for improving the quality of
provision in the adult basic skills sector, and
4. Creating opportunities for policy officials, researchers and
practitioners to exchange insights and ideas on promoting effective
teaching, assessment and evaluation.

We look forward to your subscribing to this three-day discussion. To
do so, go to:

David J. Rosen
Special Topics Discussion List Moderator
djrosen at comcast.net