National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 452] Re: Skills Bank

Katrina Hinson khinson at future-gate.com
Wed Aug 2 21:59:17 EDT 2006

MHC Interactive is developed by McGrawHill
MySkills Tutor is developed by Achievement technologies. I don't think
this is part of the same package as Skills Bank. It's a different
company/product.
A+Anywhere Learning system is developed by the American Education
Corporation
Off the top of my head, I can't tell you developed Keytrain. Keytrain is
part of a larger system. I don't know what state you're in but you can
probably find the representatives for each of these companies for your
area. If not, I can provide the contacts I have at least as a jumping
off point.

Regards,
Katrina Hinson

>>> "Gloria Fuentes" <ropteacher at gmail.com> 08/02/06 5:04 AM >>>

Hi Katrina,

Thank you so much for your reply. I have the Skills Bank 4, and I do
like
it. I teach at risk kids, ages 18 to 21. Some of my kids just drifted
through school not gaining anything from it. Others are stuck in their
math
or other areas but a LOT of them are at an early elementary level, it
really
makes me wonder how they made it through school all the years they did.
But
that is besides the point, my main objective is to teach them the skills
they need to pass the GED!

We don't have the My Skills Tutor is that something that is designed by
the
Skills Bank people? MCH Interactive, Keytrain and A+Anywhere are these
through Skills Bank? I would really love to take a look at them.

We don't have a lot of money for our program and my own pocket book is
tapped out! So whatever I decide on will have to be a good price. The
Plato
is pretty expensive and I don't think I will be able to get my Director
go along with it.

Anyways thank you so much for your input.

Gloria

On 8/1/06, Katrina Hinson <Khinson at future-gate.com> wrote:

> We have Skills Bank 4, My Skills Tutor (online), MHC Interactive,

> Keytrain and A+Anywhere. Additionally I have experience with using

> PLATO as well. We've kind of taken a different approach and use

> different programs with different levels of students. My Skills Tutor

is

> one we use with our midrange level students while A+ and MHC are

> programs we use with our higher level students. Keytrain is one we use

> for students who might only need to "brush" up and can do so quickly.

> PLATO is similar to A+ in that it is very academic oriented and the

> readability level of the questions and content in both is higher than

> that of My Skills Tutor.

> All of the software programs when appropriately used are excellent

> resources are all about the same in terms of "user friendliness." I

have

> to do the administration for most of the programs I've listed and I

> always create a student account so that I can practice the same

> assignments I give with my students. My students like all of

them...and

> recognize that each has its own different difficulty levels. One may

> work on fractions in one program and %'s in another and use still

> another for writing practice. The key is finding where your own

comfort

> level is as well as the comfort level of your student.

> They are excellent ways to reinforce skills or provide practice at

home

> for students who want homework or for students who may have to take a

> "break" from class for whatever reason. It gives them a chance to keep

> their skills up if they so desire. Like someone else, I'm not sure I

> like the idea of them being stand alone - albeit with A+Anywhere our

> program does utilize A+Anywhere for Adult High School Students who

need

> a credit for a class that we don't necessarily offer every semester

but

> is needed for graduation. It correlates with our states Standard

Course

> of Study and also offers a college readiness module.

> Regards,

> Katrina Hinson

do

> you think about it for GED preparation?