National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 421] Re: Questions on ESOL Level Descriptors in NRS

Condelli, Larry LCondelli at air.org
Fri Jul 21 11:22:52 EDT 2006

The CEF for Languages is very comprehensive and is designed to apply to all learners at all ages and levels for all European languages. I think it is an excellent and comprehensive way of guiding instruction and assessment of language learners , both for learners and teachers, and it provides a standard reference for determining language ability within the EU. While I thin it is excellent for teaching and assessment, the difficulty with using it in accountability framework, such as the NRS or Canadian system, is that the assessment requirements are quite burdensome (e.g., evaluating a learner's portfolio) and the skills and competencies represented in the higher levels of the framework are beyond those of learners in adult literacy classes (so are inapplicable to our students). Also, in the US, getting all of the states to along with a single national, framework is quite difficult, with our tradition of state and local control over instructional decisions.

For those interested in this, the framework is described in Council of Europe (2001), A Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, teaching, assessment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. A short presentation on paper on the framework and a description of a project to adapt the framework for use with low-educated adult ESOL students in Holland will soon be available in the Proceedings from an international research conference held in Holland last year (see www.leslla.org). For now, the author's (Willemijn Stockmann <http://www.leslla.org/files/presentations/Stockmann.ppt> ) Powerpoint presentation of the project is available on the web site under "Workshops."

Larry Condelli

_____