National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 420] Re: Questions on ESOL Level Descriptors in NRS

Pauline Mcnaughton pmcnaughton at language.ca
Fri Jul 21 10:10:36 EDT 2006

Thanks very much for this summary overview. It's very helpful.

There are many similarities in your overview to the Canadian situation.
Canadian Language Benchmarks were developed by the federal government in
1996 with 12 benchmark levels and a separate set of ESL literacy benchmarks
levels - Foundation, Phase I, II and III. The national assessment tools
that exist to measure CLB, measure in benchmark levels for each skill -
reading, writing, speaking and listening.

Some practitioners think that 12 benchmark levels is too many, and that it
may have been better to have had only 6 levels. (It takes a lot of work to
document all the competencies necessary to move up one level for each of the
4 skills.) However, even with 12 levels there are concerns that progress
can only be measured by achievement of an entire benchmark level - and that
a great deal of progress made by learners, is not recognized because it may
not result in completion of an entire level.

There are many ways to measure and document the achievement of specific
competencies in the classroom. We've developed collections of formal,
standardized, exit assessment tasks that allow classroom teachers to
accurately measure specific competencies. But record keeping and
certificates of completion at this point only measure whole benchmark level
achievements.

This is why the idea of the European Language Portfolio model which I talked
about yesterday in response to the email "Keeping Students eyes on teh
prize" interests me - because it does get at the competency level and helps
the learner (and teacher) target important competencies and measure those
achievements.