National Institute for Literacy

[Assessment 410] NRS changes--message for the discussion list

Marie Cora marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Mon Jul 17 23:04:20 EDT 2006

The following post is from Lisa McKinney.

Hello, Marie,

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions about the NRS's ESOL level
descriptors and recent changes. I have two questions:

1) My director recently told me that we will still be able to use the
BEST Oral test for our NRS reporting, even though I've been told for
months that the test would no longer be accepted after September 1,
2006. Are we still able to use the Oral BEST (not BEST Plus, the old
Oral test)?

2) What is the rationale for the 2nd level being so much larger than all
the other levels? Yes, I know it was recently changed from a range of
8-41 to a range of 8-36, but it's still larger than any other level.
Why?

Thanks,

Lisa McKinney
Coosa Valley Technical College